visit us 01482 653333 email us
1 2 3 4 5

Why should I choose Larards Lets to handle my business?

The ‘Larards’ brand has been closely associated with rented properties in Hull and East Yorkshire for over 120 years. We believe it is our professionalism, experience and dedicated approach which has kept us at the forefront.

Larards Lets is regulated by RICS, the world's leading body for qualifications and standards in land, property and construction. Very few letting agents maintain the high standards required by RICS.

All our clients' money is held completely independently of our business accounts and is regulated and bonded by RICS. Clients who entrust money to firms regulated by RICS are protected in the unlikely event that the money is mishandled. Client Money Protection is provided by the RICS Client Money Protection Scheme and you can find out more here. Further details at

Larards Lets are members of the leading national and local property bodies including The Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA), The National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA), The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS), Safe Agent, and The Humber Landlords Association.

Our appropriately qualified, highly motivated and knowledgeable employees provide local expertise with national connections and are dedicated to maintaining close contact with the business community, local employers, accommodation agencies and other sources of potential tenants.

Larards Lets are first and foremost letting and property management agents with employees specialising in this market. As Chartered Surveyors and Estate Agents, we also offer a complete range of services to complement our core business and meet our clients' needs.

1 2 3 4 5

How will Larards Lets assess the rental value of my property?

Larards Lets aim to give you the best market advice and not necessarily just what we think you want to hear. We will assess rental value, (taking into account the location and condition of your property), current market conditions, anticipated demand and any particular requirements you may have. Our knowledge and direct experience of the Hull and East Yorkshire rental market is unrivalled and our advice will be based on supporting evidence.

Directors Glen Welbourne and Lesley Ormston each have over 40 years’ experience in the local market and our key personnel and valuers have a combined experience with the company of over 100 years. With our knowledge and professional standing, you can expect the best advice available from the team at Larards Lets.

For more information please call Larards Lets on 01482 653333 or contact us


1 2 3 4 5

Why is it important that I employ a RICS and ARLA Professional agent to deal with my affairs?

Chartered Surveyors are recognised as THE Property Professionals worldwide. RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) Members spend many years studying and training and, once elected a Member, must comply with strict rules. The Members' Accounts Rules mean that Landlords' money is protected. Our client account is externally audited to ensure we comply with these regulations and we are part of the Clients' Money Protection scheme, funded through membership of the RICS. You you can find out more here. We also have Professional Indemnity insurance in place.

ARLA (Association of Residential Lettings Agents) is the only Professional Regulatory body solely concerned with residential lettings. Through ARLA we are kept up-to-date with legislation and we adhere to ARLA's strict code of practice. ARLA Members are tested and interviewed and our business is regularly scrutinised to ensure we adhere to the code. It is important to take care who you trust to handle your money and property affairs. Anyone can set up as a letting agent without qualifications, experience or licencing. You can rest-assured Larards Lets are professional highly regulated letting agents with appropriate qualifications, experience and a well organised team with a good track record to prove our standing.

For more information please call Larards Lets on 01482 653333 or contact us


1 2 3 4 5

What guarantees do I have?

Genuine guarantees are hard to come by but unlike most letting agents, Larards Lets is highly regulated by the leading professional property bodies. We hold Professional Indemnity Insurance and client money is safeguarded, being covered by the Clients' Money Protection Scheme. You can find out more here.

All client money is placed in dedicated client accounts held separately from our office accounts. Having regard to the substantial sums of money invested by property owners, it is amazing that many unwary landlords still place their trust with unregulated agents.

Rent guarantees are available subject to status and we shall be pleased to supply you with details.

For more information please call Larards Lets on 01482 653333 or contact us


1 2 3 4 5

Landlord FAQs

Do I need to advertise my property to rent?

We recommend press advertising and can supply encouraging advertising rates. To obtain the best advertising exposure, we also promote your property on our own website along with other leading sites such as Rightmove, Zoopla and Primelocation. We also ensure local exposure of your property with brochures in our prominently located offices.

Do I need permission before I rent my home?

If the property is subject to a mortgage, consent is normally required from the lender. If you are not the freehold owner of the property permission is usually required from the freeholder. You should deal with this before you instruct Larards Lets to let your property and let us have details of any conditions that affect the tenancy.

Do I need to pay UK Income Tax?

This depends upon your circumstances, but income from property in the UK must be declared to HM Revenue and Customs. If the Landlord is resident overseas, Larards Lets may be taxed but we can advise you on how you can receive rent without us having to pay tax on your behalf.

How long should I let for?

This will depend upon your personal circumstances. There are various types of tenancy, but most lettings are for at least six months.

Will I be able to get my property back?

Yes, subject to the terms of the tenancy and assuming that the correct type of tenancy is entered into from the outset. There are strict notice periods to adhere to; usually at least two months for Landlords and agreements cannot be terminated until the fixed term has expired.

Do I need to furnish my property?

A property can be made more or less attractive by replacing or adding furniture. Nevertheless, you must ensure that any soft furnishings you supply comply with current Fire Safety Regulations.

The Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988 as amended, require that all furniture in rented property must meet the standard. Of particular concern is foam-filled or upholstered furniture manufactured between 1950 and 1988.

Furniture manufactured before 1950 is exempt but any other soft furnishings left on the premises should be appropriately labelled. To supply furniture which does not comply is an offence and Larards Lets expect all soft furnishings to be appropriately labelled.

If you are supplying appliances as part of your letting, please also supply the operating instructions. (Most operating instructions are also available on manufacturers' websites).

Do I need to insure the building and contents?

Landlords are normally responsible for insuring the property and Larards Lets recommend Landlords to also insure their contents. Check with your insurers to confirm you know what is not covered when the property is let - or stood empty.

Make sure that your insurance covers you for loss of rent in the event of the property being rendered uninhabitable. If you have difficulty with your property or contents insurance, we can put you in touch with insurers who will arrange a policy specifically designed for rented properties.

Who is responsible for repairs?

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Section 11, as amended by Section 116 of the Housing Act 1988, requires the Landlord to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the property, together with installations for supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation and to keep in proper working order installations for space and water heating.

Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, it is the Landlord’s legal responsibility to immediately address hazards which present a risk to occupiers and they must comply with their repairing obligations, irrespective of whether or not the damage has been caused by the tenant’s own negligence. In the case of a residential letting the Landlord is always responsible for repairs to the property’s structure and exterior; sanitary fittings including pipes and drains; heating and hot water; gas appliances; flues; electrical wiring; any appliances, white goods and furniture supplied.

Do I require an Energy Performance Certificate?

Since 1 October 2008 an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) - produced by an accredited assessor - is required whenever a building is let to a new tenant.

Landlords must provide an EPC free of charge to prospective tenants and must provide a copy of the EPC to the person who takes up the tenancy.

We can provide you with an EPC.

What other safety issues are there?

Landlords have a duty to ensure their premises, fixtures, fittings and appliances are safe. Larards Lets recommend that appliances which burn fossil fuels (gas, coal or oil) should be regularly serviced.

The Gas Safety (Installation) and Use Regulations 1994 (as amended) require Landlords to ensure all gas appliances and installation pipework are maintained in safe condition and are inspected annually by an approved contractor. There are also requirements to keep records and issue tenants with certificates. All tenants must receive the gas safety inspection certificate before the start of a tenancy, in addition to any servicing and inspection arrangements for appliances and installations.

It is the Landlord's responsibility to ensure that the electrical installation and appliances provided by the Landlord are safe when the tenancy begins and are in good repair and proper working order throughout the tenancy.

As mentioned already, Landlords must ensure all furniture in their property meets the standard set by the Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988 as amended.